I am convinced that the majority of reviews here are auto-generated or paid for my Open Road. Worst experience! DO NOT USE! I thought I had found a decent moving company to help with my move... boy was I wrong! Everything seemed great until the movers showed up at my door, then it just got worse and worse. I was misled on multiple accounts and didn't find out until the movers showed up at my door and I was in a tight spot as I had to be out of the house by the next day.
When I called them they didn't attempt to make it right. The most they did was offer me $150 (out of a $9,000 move) and say they removed the carrier from their list. That was only after repeated attempts to talk to their customer service department. Most of my messages and e-mails were never answered.
Here are some of the main issues I had with Open Road:
1. My move would not be contracted out to a third party, something I specifically asked about and was assured it was an Open Road truck. Only afterward was I told that all they do is contract out.
2. That my move was going to be cheaper than the competitor I got a quote from. This competitor did not include everything on their inventory list, but came up with a weight around 10,000 lb, which was my estimate and which was later proven. At the end of the day I would have been incredibly better off going with their competitor.
3. That my quoted price was the absolute maximum I would have to pay unless my weight was more than the estimate, and that if my weight was less it WOULD go down. STAR Moving USA (the actual moving truck the purchased my contract from Open Road) told me that WAS NOT how it worked and that it would only increase because he bid on the total truck cost and it wouldn't be profitable for him if it was any less. I was led to believe that if my weight was less than the estimate I would have a cost reduction for the full amount of each pound less. It took two hours of haggling, Open Road's involvement and high tension to get to a point where I was offered a cost reduction of half the pound cost for every pound less than my quote. Due to the high tension that pervaded for the remainder of the day I did not hover over the packers as I was worried if I did they would not take care of my household goods. This caused me to not scrutinize every box they packed.
4. I was told I would need to pay the initial deposit of 25% to Open Road, pay 50% of the remaining in the form of a certified check upon pick-up and the remaining amount upon delivery. I clarified the 50% required for pick-up with Open Road after paying the initial down payment in order that I might only have to purchase one certified check. I even got a certified check above the amount stated by Open Road. Because my bank is primarily online, I had to pay a fee for the certified check as well as a expedited shipping cost which in total ended up being around $50. When STAR Moving USA showed up at my door he insisted I had to pay him no less than 50% of the total moving cost (meaning paying 75%) by the time he left. He also said he did not need a certified check. So not only did I have to pay more than the certified check amount, but I could have saved myself $50 and just written a check.
5. The Open Road price I paid was itemized to show a specific amount of over $1000 for the packing cost. This packing cost was further broken down to the specific number of each type of box required. I was told by Open Road that the more boxes I packed myself, the more I would save. STAR Moving USA refused to do any type of box counting stating that there was no such thing as a separate "packing" cost, that it was a "total" moving package I paid for and that it was impossible to do such a thing because his team would decide the best boxes that needed to be used. I heartily disagree with "best" as you can see from the pictures I hope to attach after I post the review. When I spoke with Open Road that morning I was told I just needed to make him keep track, I'm not quite sure how I was supposed to do that when he flat out refused.
6. The packing job was absolutely horrific.They did NOT use ANY fragile picture boxes! Four of my large pictures where squished together, with nothing in-between them, and wrapped in a blanket. It is a miracle that only one of the frames had broken glass! I am just very thankful that I packed up a lot of my pictures myself before they arrived!
7. I was flat out lied to by Open Road and STAR Moving USA about getting climate controlled storage. I specifically asked each more than once if I would be getting climate controlled storage to which I was assured I would be. Due to my horrible experience I elected to pay a little extra and have a second company go an get my stuff out of storage for final delivery. I found out from this company that my household goods WERE NOT stored in a climate controlled storage unit.