Moving. A task that seems so easy, but is everything but that. It is something that you should take seriously and devote yourself to. Every relocation is unique and different than any previous one, and that is what makes this task so complex. Not to mention – hard to complete. Especially in a timely efficient manner. There are just so many things that need to be taken into consideration. Every single detail matters. Everything must be thought about. And the smallest slip-ups can make the biggest problems. That is just the way things are, and there is no way around it. Not if you are planning on moving. However, there are some things that can make this whole process easier on you. Things such as our packing tips!
As we have mentioned before, moving is a serious task to take on. And it requires a detailed planning, as well as the strategic preparation. All of these things take time. And more than you think. That is why it is so important to start on time. Or even better, early. Starting early will give you enough time and space to plan out your every single move. And believe us on this one – you will need it!
Making a solid strategy is of crucial importance. It really is. And for many reasons. But, it must be done properly in order for everything to go smoothly in the end. And that is our main goal here. Isn’t it?
- Think about everything in advance.
- Consider every single detail at least twice.
- Get a notebook and start writing things down.
- Follow your schedule, and make sure you complete your tasks on time.
Know what you are doing.
Because it will help you a lot. Knowing what you are getting into is more than important. It will allow you to make a better strategy, and even more importantly – it will help you pack quickly and efficiently. There are so many packing tips out there, but this one is the one that should stick with you!
Details do matter.
There are no small problems when moving. Everything matters. And small details can turn into nightmares in no time. That is why it is so important to consider everything twice. It will allow you to create a much better picture of your whole relocation project and avoid moving mistakes eventually.
Write everything down.
When it comes to organization, there is nothing that can help you more than writing everything down. There are just so many things that need to be done. And something that can happen, and it most likely will – you will forget something along the way. So, make sure you write down your tasks, ideas and reminders before everything gets out of control.
Say no to postponing tasks.
If you are not a morning person – become one. Today. Packing is something that seems easy, but it is a task that requires your complete devotion. And that means only one thin – tasks need to be completed. On time.
Packing tips 101:
Let’s start from the beginning.
1# Make an inventory
Making such a list sounds like something that will take a lot of your precious time. However, inventory list is something that can come in more than handy when moving. Also, since we are talking about packing, one of our best packing tips for you would be to list everything. It will help you make the next steps of this process much easier.
2# Sort your belongings
Go through your house (apartment) and start sorting your belongings.
- Do you need it?
- Do you use it?
- How often?
- Does it require special care?
- Can it be moved?
When it comes to moving, it is very important to make things simple and easy. And that is why it is so important to determine if you are going to move everything early on. Ask yourself these questions. Do you need it? And if you do, do you use it? How often? Once you answer these 3 questions, you will be able to decide if the item in question is going to be moved or not.
Extra packing advice:
If you have asked yourself these questions and came to an answer that you don’t like – we have a solution for you! Let’s say we are talking about your grandma’s antique vase. You got it as a gift. On your wedding day. And yes, it has sentimental value. No, you can’t just throw it away. What you can do is to find a storage facility where you can keep such items! Easy, right?
Fragile items packing tips:
If an item really does require special care, we advise you to look for some professional assistance. In most cases – items that require special care and are hard to move are not only fragile. They are, in most cases – items of high value. And you wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to these items. So, start looking for a professional moving and packing company that can help you handle this task of yours.
3# Say goodbye to the things you don’t really use or need
One of the best packing tips out there is to get rid of all the things you don’t really need. It will not only help you move with ease, in a timely efficient manner, it will also help you save some money. And who doesn’t like that? We sure do! Consider these options:
- Selling (yard / online sale)
Do you need more packing tips? Because we have some for you!
There are many Tips and hacks that make packing all that easier, and here are some of our top choices!
- You should start the packing process 3 to 4 weeks before your move or as soon as possible.
- When you begin the packing, start from the items you least use, such as books, seasonal clothing or sports equipment, and other similar belongings.
- If you are moving in the summer, make sure to bag the items that are temperaturesensitive: soaps, candles etc.
- Take the extra time to rid yourself of clutter items you no longer use.
- Make sure to use quality cardboard boxes smaller ones for heavier things and larger ones for heavier belongings. And no overpacking!
- Always acquire extra packing supplies you never know what you might need.
- Lay your books flat in their box, alternating bindings so they stack evenly.
- Stay organized pack room by room and label the boxes accordingly.
- Prepare an essentials box for yourself medication, personal hygiene, pillow etc.
- Make copies of important documents such as wills, contracts, and passports.
- During disassembly of larger belongings, make sure to put all nuts and bolts into clearly labeled small bags.
- Make sure to empty out your dressers and furniture before moving it.
- Comprise an inventory list of items and write down serial numbers for all electronics.
- Frozen foods, produce, plants and other perishables should be transported by you.
- Soaps, sprays, polishes, and medicine should not be placed in the same box as food.
- Heavy items should not be packed with dishware.
Plan out your packing process
1. Determine which boxes will be needed:
- Small Box: ■ Files, books, picture frames and other similar belongings;
- Medium Box: ■ Shoes, clothing, linens, and small kitchen appliances;
- Large Box: ■ Blankets, pillows, towels, toys,, and pots/pans;
- Dish Pack Box: ■ Ideal for breakables such as plates, glassware, vases, serving trays…;
2. Get organized:
- Label boxes as you pack.
- Create your own inventory list of important items inside each box. This will help keep track of your boxes in the event that one is misplaced or lost.
- Use your personal inventory list as a reference guide when unpacking.