Conducting a relocation involves a lot of tasks and processes that you need to complete. And when you plan to relocate to another state, this list of tasks becomes all the wider. So, when you come to a point where you have to move several vehicles to your new home, it can prove to be a challenge. Unlike your typical household or office relocation, auto transportation moving services require a bit more. Sure, if it’s only one vehicle, you can drive it to your new home or sell it. But when you can’t do this, you can always turn to professional auto transportation companies. And when you do make this decision, Verified Movers will be here to support you with the best estimate and mover match for your needs.
Step-By-Step Auto Transport checklist
The first step on your vehicle transportation journey is to consult your moving budget and capabilities. Once you do this, if you reach a decision that the relocation to your new home should be done via plane, you are going to have to look into suitable options for transporting your vehicles in a safe and professional manner. And the best way to do this is to employ auto moving experts.
Even though the company you hire will have all the expertise and equipment needed to handle your auto transportation, there are still things that you can do to contribute. Knowing all the steps that will be needed to ensure the safety and well-being of your property is one such contribution. Plus, it never hurts to learn new skills – after all, you never know when you might need them. And so, Verified Movers is going to provide you with a short guide on how to take care of shipping your vehicles before the moving company you hire comes to load them for transport. How to prepare a car for transport across the country?
1. Check the experience of the movers. Does the moving company have enough experience in this type of project? What is their portfolio like and do they have any past records of accidents or incidents with transportation? These are some of the questions to ask yourself when searching for the right movers. Verified Movers can ask these questions for you and provide you with optimal choices of auto transport moving companies. After all, transporting your vehicle(s) requires certain knowledge and expertise that not all movers can provide. One check you can always do is look up the USDOT number of the carrier to obtain those details.
2. Shipping method? Open or enclosed shipping – now that is the question? This all depends on how valuable and important your vehicles are to you. If they are, then it might pay off to cash out extra funds ($350-$500) and secure closed transportation from the relocation company. It might weigh in on your budget, but it will also provide you with peace of mind in terms of any risks associated with open vehicle shipping.
3. Get several auto transportation quotes. Once you have your terms all figured out, submit them to us and we will cross compare our moving company database. The results will be focused on your particular needs and the expert movers that fulfill those very needs. And once you have a list of potential auto transport companies, it’s just a matter of getting in touch and doing some comparison of your own. Make a list of questions and contact each company to get answers to those questions. Once you do, you’ll be able to weigh in all the factors and make the right call.
4. Remember to ask for an insurance guarantee. Since you are going to ship vehicles and not cookies or trinkets, insurance is something that will definitely come in handy. So, it would be wise to inquire about insurance options with the moving company or a thirdparty company. Read up on the policies and terms of the auto transport businesses you consider and check what would be the outcome in case of any damages occurring during transportation. And of course, have them provide you with a copy of the contract.
5. Once the auto transportation company you hired has your vehicle all ready for the shipping process, make sure that they fill out and sign the loading bill and a report with the condition of your vehicle. Go through the terms together and make sure that everything is in order. Another useful thing you can do in terms of the condition of the vehicle(s) is take pictures and insist that the company do the same. This will give you a clear idea of any dents or marks that could occur during transport.
6. Ask for a written statement or some kind of a contract as proof of the agreement you made with the auto transport company. Never let it slip your mind that promises and verbal agreements are not binding, so with them you have no guarantees.
7. Once your vehicle(s) reaches your new home, inspect it together with the movers. If you notice even the slightest damage or that the vehicle is in a different condition than it originally was, note it in a written report. Otherwise, it will be hard for you to file a claim with the professional long distance moving company.