Verified Movers is working with some of the best moving companies in the US, and consequently, some of the best long distance moving companies California has to offer. We will point you in the right direction, minimizing the time you spend looking for reliable movers. These experts will make sure that your relocation is handled in the way that best suits you, your needs, and your wishes. Moving is a step towards betterment, and in that regard, there is no reason why the process of the relocation itself needs to be difficult. Turning to the right experts will ensure you enjoy in every part of this big change in your life.
If the idea of another snowy winter fills you with fear, you may think about moving to California. Relocating to California probably won’t solve all your problems, but, with right moving guide and enthusiasm, you make it more than just a dream. Remember that you are moving in the most populated state in the United States, so you need a long distance moving companies California you can rely on. You need to hire experienced long distance movers who know traffic in densely populated areas and know how to solve every problem on the road.
Relocation is a process that virtually never happens without being preceded by careful and detailed analysis. And that really is the smartest way to approach it, as it is indeed a complex process. Nonetheless, it brings a promise of a better tomorrow, which is why so many opt to go for it. That being said, if this is something you yourself are planning, know that the process of moving, while being complicated, does not have to be arduous and stressful. With the right long distance moving companies California can be proud of, you can have a smooth, simple and stress-free relocation for an affordable price. And Verified Movers will be more than happy to help you reach those professionals in the easiest way.
We make sure to point out quality movers one can unequivocally rely on. With that in mind, we invite you to take a look at our vast database and go over long distance moving companies California reviews, so as to ensure you have an objective insight into their services.
Intrastate vs interstate move – what kind of long distance relocation do you need?
Californians have been rather active when it comes to relocations. This fact alone has made long distance movers in CA quite busy. However, before contacting a moving company, it is important to understand what kind of moving service you actually need. There are two types of long distance moves, intrastate, and interstate. Learning the difference between the two is crucial since the cost of these two services is not the same.
We refer to intrastate move when moving within the state, traveling more than 50 miles. So, if you plan on leaving Sacramento for Los Angeles, or San Diego for San Francisco, this is the service to ask for. Professional long distance movers in California have the experience, knowledge and equipment to make sure your relocation is a smooth and simple process.
This is also known as cross country relocation. There are different laws for intrastate and interstate moves. Every company that operates in the state needs to follow federal rules and regulations. With that said, rest assured that the California cross country movers we recommend are the ones you can truly rely on in every regard, as they are not only tried and tested by the customers but also equipped with all of the necessary licenses and documentation.
The services that you can expect from professional long distance movers California
While it might not seem so at first glance, moving within the borders of CA can prove to be quite the challenge. The state in itself is not only large, but vastly populated, and the crowd is everywhere. Getting around the city you are in is probably easy, but the same probably cannot be said about the city you are moving to. And it really comes down to the technicalities of parking a truck, loading and unloading furniture and heavy boxes. And, let’s face it, finding a parking spot in Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco is an endeavor of its own accord. After all, that is why there are so many quality moving companies in California that specialize in these types of relocations.
Being that their specialty is relocating residents and businesses in an efficient, smooth and stress-free way across the Golden State, you can expect them to have every service you might need in order to ensure the move that you are hoping for. Yours will be only to say what you need and expect, and they will make sure to deliver. Here are some of the most popular services customers opt for:
- Residential moving services – This is the assistance to opt for when you plan on moving your home, say, Fresno to San Jose, or Los Angeles to San Francisco, or any other place within the CA borders.
- Commercial moving services – If you are one of the numerous people who plan on moving their business to San Jose, or any other city that offers a promise of a better income, commercial movers in California are the people to turn to. They will ensure your business suffers minimal downtime during the transition. Make sure to check out long distance movers California reviews, and find the people that are true experts in this field.
- Packing services – Probably the most arduous and tedious part of every relocation, proper packing is the centerpiece of every successful relocation process. With that in mind, make sure to turn to professionals, and spare yourself the worry about your belongings’ safety.
- Storage services – Not everyone has the luxury of moving to a spacious home, especially when it comes to cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. With that in mind, if you need a place to store your goods until you find a better spot for them, storage services is the help to look for, and movers in California will be sure to provide it.
- Furniture moving services – Disassembly and reassembly of furniture is a necessity when it comes to the safe transportation of your bulkier belongings. With that in mind, if you want it done right, make sure to look for furniture moving services.
Specialty moving services
Piano moving services – Some websites show that California has 397 public pianos available for play. It is only safe to say that Californians love their pianos. If you yourself own one of these precious instruments and plan on moving, know that it would be rather smart to look for a company that offers piano moving services, as it really is a special skill. Looking at California long distance moving companies reviews will give you an idea of which moving team would be best to tackle this delicate task.
Pool table moving services – Los Angeles has a rather large group of pool enthusiasts. We believe that many of them will be happy to know that professional long distance moving companies California can tend to pool tables and move them swiftly and securely.
Art moving services – The best way to ensure the safe delivery of your art pieces is by using art moving services. With the moving team that has experience in this field, your art will be properly packed and secured in the back of the moving truck.
Auto moving – When moving long distance one of the best things you can do is use auto moving services. Especially if you want to spare yourself the traffic jams most CA cities are known for. We will help you find movers that will ship your car to the desired address for an affordable price. Long distance moving companies CA reviews will give you an insight on which company would be best for this particular service.
California Moving Trends
California is one of the states that had the largest exodus in the past three years. Moreover, the statistics show that only last year in December around 135.600 people left the state. The pandemic played a big role when it comes to the California moving trends. That being said, those numbers are not so evenly distributed throughout California. As a matter of fact, the overall share of Californians who move has been slowly yet steadily declined over time. Of course, move rates continue to vary substantially by region and county. When we look back, over 80% of Californians who move remain in the state. Still, one should take into account substantial variation by region and county.
Since the pandemic started, the overall moving rate declined, while the number of movers leaving the state has increased. By the end of September 2021, statistics show that California residents were less likely to move than they were before the pandemic started. After the substantial dip early in the pandemic, the statewide moving rate has recovered somewhat. Still, those numbers are yet to reach pre-COVID levels. And while these trends hold in most counties, we have to note the exceptions of six Bay Area counties, particularly San Francisco and San Mateo. These saw 27% and 14% increases in move rates, respectively.
So, we can see that, while Californians have indeed been on the move, many of them have stayed within the state lines. Los Angeles and San Francisco are among several large cities that have seen significant drops in population amid the pandemic. However, some experts predict that these numbers will get back to normal within the next couple of years.
San Diego has welcomed residents from other CA cities
Los Angeles has seen the back of many of its residents. This is clearly visible even through long distance movign companies California reviews. A great number of them decided to make San Diego their new home. There are two prevailing factors behind this decision:
- Lower crime rates
- Lower housing prices
As these are rather important factors when it comes to living conditions, it is not hard to realize why moving from Los Angeles to San Diego has been so popular.
Sacramento was also popular
As a matter of fact, most of the Sacramento housing has been snatched by San Francisco residents. Many of the top SF movers have had their hands full during the pandemic, as San Francisco residents have decided to move to the inland city.
Some even decided to move to San Francisco
While San Franciso was most definitely among the top cities that have seen a decline in its residents, it has still managed to see some new faces arrive. And it was from a no place other than Los Angeles that many have flocked to SF. The fact that moving from Los Angeles to San Francisco has been taking place not too rarely has certainly played its part in making Los Angeles second only to NYC at a drop in resident numbers.
San Jose opened its doors to many Californians
Relocations to San Jose are surely and steadily on the rise. This is mostly due to numerous job opportunities, the mild climate as compared to the southern cities, and the sheer fact that it is considered one of the best to live in California. While the costs of living in San Jose is high, it is still more affordable to live here than it is in San Francisco. That is why many have opted for moving from San Jose to San Francisco, as the perks remain, but the prices are lower.
When we look at the statistics, we can see that over the past five years, we can see that the majority of Silicon Valley’s domestic out-migrants stayed in California. Joint Venture Silicon Valley put together a statistic that shows 29% remained in the Bay Area, 6% to the Sacramento area, 6% moved to the nearby Monterey area, 8% to San Joaquin Valley, and 14% to Southern California.
Get quality services by some of the best long distance moving companies in California
So, if you’re on the lookout for reliable long distance moving companies California has to offer, your search can end here – with Verified Movers. We will help you find the ideal moving and storage professionals. Our job is to shorten your search for the ideal moving team for you, and point you in the right direction. Verified Movers’ database contains over 18,000 moving companies from across the US, and a great portion of them are stationed in California. Through our easy-to-navigate website, you will be able to browse through virtually all long-distance moving companies California has to offer. Going through long distance movers California reviews will provide you with a unique and all-encompassing view of the services these experts offer, as well as their quality and reliability.
What to expect from professional long distance movers in California
Reliable long distance moving companies California offer you more than just good moving services. Dependable movers also offer full care of your items, so you have time to prepare for this significant change in your life. This is the reason why you should hire only proven movers that you can trust. Not to mention that hiring movers with no experience in long-distance relocations can cause problems during the move. By hiring experts in long-distance moves, you can expect to have a pleasant and stress-free relocation. Moreover, by choosing the most trusted California long distance moving company, you can have the most organized move anywhere in the Golden State. The most significant benefit of hiring professionals is peace of mind. Just one look at the long distance moving companies California reviews will show you how much of a difference their assistance can make.
What to ask your movers
Before you sign a contract with a moving company, we suggest you ask certain questions that will give you an insight into what you can expect from the company that will be handling your move.
- Is the company licensed and insured by the state of California? These show that a company is serious and that your items will be in the safe hands of professionals.
- Do they provide free estimates and are they accurate? Most companies provide free estimates, both online, via phone, or onsite. Moreover, make sure that the estimates the moving company provides are accurate in order to avoid unexpected costs. Scams through moving estimates are some of the most prevalent ones in California, so watch out for the red flags.
- Do they provide packing and unpacking services? If you are looking for a full-service moving company make sure to mention it. Even though many companies offer packing services some of them don’t. Also, you should check if they will bring their packing supplies.
- Is there anything you need to do to make the moving process easier for everyone? The moving company will note if there are any specific things you can help them with. Be that as it may, every moving team will appreciate if you remove any obstacles that might be blocking your driveway or hallway.
- Will movers take breaks and for how long? Movers do take breaks during long distance moves, especially if your shipment is large, and consists of heavy and bulky items. Still, those breaks will be deducted at the end of your move.
- Are they familiar with the traffic in your area, as well as the area you are moving to? It is paramount that they know California’s traffic, routes, rules, and regulations. This will allow them to transport your belongings not only in the safest but also swiftest way, without any delays. In cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco, rush hour sometimes seems to be lasting from morning till night time, and parking can be a nightmare.
Professional movers will customize your move
One of the most important things when moving not only just long distances but in general is a moving plan. Without a plan, your move will not be as smooth as it should. This is why hiring a moving company is essential. While it might not seem so at first, every move is different. Moving from Long Beach to Sacramento will greatly differ from moving to Los Angeles from Oakland. Not to mention that people, their needs, wants and possibilities differ. That is why long distance movers in California that you hire need to provide you with a customized moving plan. Moreover, when you have a great moving partner that knows how to handle every moving task you are bound to have a great moving experience.
As every moving process is unique, it is necessary to give all the details of your move to your moving team. Once you share all your demands and wishes, you will be provided with a plan.
- Do you need packing services? If so, are you looking for partial or full packing service?
- Are there any objects that need special attention, like a piano or pool table?
- Do you need safe storage space for some of your items? If so, for how long?
These are all the questions that you will need to answer in order to get the ideal moving plan for your particular situation. A professional moving company will provide you with all the services that you need in order to make moving simple for you. Furthermore, we at Verified Movers have years of experience in the moving industry, therefore, we will be able to link you with the moving company that will provide you with everything that you need.
Long distance moving companies by cities in California
California is packed with quality long distance movers, and reaching them is easier than you might think. Verified Movers have made sure that they are but a few clicks away. Here are just some of them in the biggest cities in California:
- Long distance moving companies Los Angeles
- Long distance moving companies San Diego
- Long distance moving companies San Jose
- Long distance moving companies San Francisco
- Long distance moving companies Fresno
- Long distance moving companies Sacramento
- Long distance moving companies Long Beach
- Long distance moving companies Oakland
- Long distance moving companies Bakersfield
- Long distance moving companies Anaheim
- Long distance moving companies Stockton
- Long distance moving companies Irvine
- Long distance moving companies Riverside
- Long distance moving companies Santa Ana
Why is hiring movers from VM better than moving on your own
Moving on your own might seem more economical; however, this is not always true. You are not a professional; therefore you will easily make mistakes that will cost you a lot of money and time. Let us not forget that lifting heavy items without knowing the right lifting positions can be dangerous. Not only can you damage your precious belongings but there is a possibility of hurting your knees and back. Not to mention that during the relocation process, unexpected things are rather likely to happen, as there are some factors one cannot account for. While you might be eager and keen to handle it all on your own, the truth is that sheer will cannot get you to most of the moving challenges. Tending to them requires knowledge, experience, and oftentimes proper tools and equipment. And moving experts have all of these at ready. Moving in California can be stressful enough as it is, so there really is no reason to pack on some more tasks and unpredictable outcomes. Just one glance at the long distance moving companies California reviews will show you just how valuable professional moving assistance can be.
Why choose Verified Movers to find the best long distance movers in California
Hiring a moving company is not always easy. Every day the number of scammers is growing, which makes it difficult to find an honest moving company. This is especially true when it comes to California, as complaints about moving scams in CA are on the rise. That is why contacting Verified Movers is the best thing you can do for yourself, your wallet, and your nerves. Using our matchmaking services will help you get in touch with reputable movers swiftly and easily. Not to mention the long distance movers California reviews you can read, and learn plenty of the quality of their service and customer support.
When it comes to the moving companies that we recommend, we do our best to go through the laws and licenses the state of California issues and asks for, and see that the company checks all the boxes. We also like to keep our business transparent, which is why we invite you to take a look at the reviews previous customers have left on the companies’ profiles. This way, you can regard a company’s service from multiple perspectives, thus gaining a broad image of their business. With this in mind, feel encouraged to leave a review yourself, and help others gain knowledge from your experience.
Why are moving reviews important?
Looking at the company’s moving reviews can help you get to know the company. You can read what other people have to say about the services they were provided with, and thus get an objective take on the company’s quality of service. After all, this will let you know if the company is truly the way they say they are. Also, when reading reviews you can see how someone responds to negative criticism or a suggestion. A company can get a few bad reviews but that doesn’t mean that they are not good. However, the way they respond to the criticism is important. You want to avoid companies that have an aggressive response. Instead, opt for movers that are polite and considerate of their customers’ opinions.
Verified Movers hold honesty and transparency in high regard. Every review on our website has gone through spam and plagiarism checks, all with the goal of ensuring you get real experiences from real customers. In that same regard, we do not alter these reviews, and always encourage customers to say as much as they can about their moving process. This is why you can trust the long distance moving companies California reviews that you find on our website. After all, they are primarily there to point you in the right direction.
Moving scams in California
Reports of moving scams in California have nearly doubled in the past couple of years, with the largest increase occurring during the pandemic. The California Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS) has estimated complaints are up 74% year-to-year. With more people moving, there is a strain on available legitimate movers. This has resulted in people, both knowingly and unknowingly, hiring unlicensed movers, and consequently dealing with many issues. In a vast amount of cases, there was no contract at all, as BHGS reports. The unlicensed companies are then able to hold the customers’ goods hostage and extort them.
The State of California regulates the moving industry, and it requires companies to have multiple forms of insurance, perform an inspection of the goods before moving and pass verifications. Be that as it may, California Moving and Storage Association suggests that there is an underground economy that fails to follow the rules, and does not provide protection for the consumers. And the mixture of high demand and limited supply in California has made a gap perfectly filled by illegitimate companies.
Keep in mind that, when it comes to the Golden State, the complaints revolve around two variations of the same scam. In the first case, an illegitimate company promises an unrealistically low rate, but demands a large up-front deposit. Upon receiving the deposit, the customer is ‘hooked’, and they can delay, or not even make the delivery. The other situation is a “hold-hostage”. In this case, the fraudulent company promises a low rate, but demands a larger-than-expected amount to deliver the items. With this in mind, BHGS requires moving companies to provide customers with a written “not to exceed price” before the relocation process begins. Keep this in mind when looking for your reliable long distance movers in California.
Frequently Asked Questions when moving long distances
What is the average cost of a long distance move?
Moving costs vary from state to state, however, the cost of an average move in California of 1.000 miles is around 4.890 for a 2-3 bedroom home.
How far in advance should you schedule a move?
When moving long distances it is best to schedule at least four weeks in advance. This will give you enough time to prepare for the move, and you have a bigger chance to get the moving date that suits you the most.
How can the weather affect your relocation?
Depending on the time you plan on moving, as well as the place you move to, there are certain changes in the weather you can expect. While the coastal regions of California have moderate temperatures that are consistent throughout the year, fog can be common, especially in the mornings. Keep this in mind if you are moving to or from San Francisco, as this city tends to be the foggiest in the summer. Southern regions have those warmer average temperatures, so it can be smart to plan your move around mornings. If you are moving during wintertime, do not be surprised by some rain. However, if you are moving to or from the northern regions, rain should not surprise you, as you can expect it. The moderately oceanic climate typically receives higher annual rainfall amounts than the southern portions of the state.
What kind of items a long distance moving company California will not move?
Any perishable and dangerous items are not allowed. Every company has a specific list of items that they either are not allowed to move by law of the state of California, or they do not want to move due to safety reasons. You will be provided with this list after you finish your consultation.
Will you receive a call before the delivery?
Your moving company will contact you 24 hours prior to delivery.
What boxes do you need for your move long distance relocation?
Everything except furniture and big bulky appliances needs to be packed into boxes. Moreover, since not every object is the same you will need different sizes of the boxes. We have separated boxes into four different categories: small, medium, large, and extra-large.
- Small boxes are great for books, magazines, and some other small and heavy items. They measure 1.5 cubic feet.
- Medium boxes measure between 1.5 to 3 cubic feet. They are perfect for packing items that need a bit more space. Moreover, you can use them to pack perishables or small decorative items that you have in your home.
- Large boxes are the ones that you want to use to pack your clothes and shoes. One large box measures between 2.5 to 3.5 cubic feet. Avoid filling large boxes with heavy items. It will be hard to lift them since they are too heavy. Always opt for medium and small boxes when you have to pack heavy items.
- Extra-large boxes measure 3.6 feet or more. Just like with the large boxes avoid filling them with heavy items. Instead, use them to pack lighter items that are large.
There are many other specialty boxes that make packing even easier:
- Wardrobe boxes
- Dish barrel boxes
- Book boxes
- Mirror and picture boxes
How many boxes do you need when moving with one of the long distance moving companies California has?
The amount you will need depends on the number of items you have. However, here is the number of boxes that you will need on average for a home in California:
- 13 small
- 10 medium boxes
- 13 large boxes
- 7 extra-large boxes
- 3/4 wardrobe boxes
- 3 picture boxes
- 20 medium boxes
- 16 large boxes
- 8 extra-large boxes
- 4 wardrobe boxes
- 4 picture boxes
- 30 medium boxes
- 22 large boxes
- 10 extra-large boxes
- 4 wardrobe boxes
- 6 picture boxes
- 5-18 small boxes
- 18-29 medium boxes
- 10 large boxes
- 4-9 extra-large boxes
- 35 small boxes
- 27-38 medium boxes
- 15 large boxes
- 6-11 extra-large boxes
- 38 small boxes
- 36-47 medium boxes
- 20 large boxes
- 8-13 extra-large boxes
A 6-step long distance moving plan
If you follow our 6-step moving plan you will have a stress-free and smooth move.
1. Research different moving companies in California
Verified Movers has a large database of professional moving companies in the Golden State, and across the US. We have made this step simple for you all you need to do is choose your location, in this case, California and you will have a long list of companies to choose from.
2. Get a free moving estimate
Moving companies that pique your interest are the ones to ask for a free estimate. This way you will easily choose movers that suit your budget the most.
3. A customized moving plan
One of the California long distance moving companies that we will match you with will provide you with a moving plan specifically made for your moving needs.
4. Schedule the moving date
Choose the moving date as well as the time of your relocation. Once you finish this step your job is done, your moving CA team will take it from here.
5. Wait for your movers to arrive
While movers take care of the moving tasks, you can relax and watch them handle all the heavy lifting. Professionals that we have in our database know how to handle any type of move, and they will make sure everything goes according to plan.
6. Settle in your new CA home
This is the final step! Once long distance movers from California are done with unpacking you can start enjoying your new home.
What can affect your moving budget?
Moving prices are different from relocation to relocation. While mostly based on the weight of your shipment, the cost of your long distance move depends on several other factors as well:
- The distance is the first factor that follows. California long-distance moving companies usually charge by 1,000-mile radius.
- The number of items you need to move and their size. The more stuff you have the bigger the truck is needed. Bigger trucks need more fuel, which will also affect the price of your move. With this in mind, you should consider decluttering before relocation.
- The overall weight of your belongings. If you have a lot of heavy and fragile items that need special handling that will increase the price.
- The difficulty of loading and unloading your items counts too. Moving a one-story or a two-story home is not the same. If movers need to use starts or elevators that will also affect the cost of your long distance move.
- The type of insurance you choose. Most long distance moving companies in California offer full and partial insurance. Partial insurance is included in the price while full insurance needs to be paid. Also, if a company is not providing insurance for certain items, consider getting one from a third-party provider.
- The date of your move. Moving during the peak season is pricier than during the off-season. Therefore, if you have the possibility to move during the winter period and during the week you will have a more economical move.
- Any additional services that you choose will also affect the price, like packing, moving special items, assembly and dissasembly, etc.
- The cost of storage varies depending on the size, the time you want to store your stuff, and whether it is a climate-controlled unit or not. Moreover, the most popular unit sizes that you can get are 5’ x 10’, 10’ x 10’, and 10 ’x 20’. Prices vary from place to place. Moreover, you will end up paying more in LA than you would in San Jose, for example.
Average prices of storage units according to the size of the unit in Los Angeles, CA are the following:
- 5×10 standard storage unit $149 and $171 for a climate-controlled unit
- 10’ x 10’ standard storage unit $206 and $325 for a climate-controlled unit
- 10’ x 20’ standard unit $425 and $473 for a climate-controlled unit
Moving costs from Los Angeles to other cities in California
- The average cost of relocation when moving with top movers in Los Angeles from LA to San Francisco is between $1500-and $2500.
- From Los Angeles to Sacramento the cost can vary from $880 for a studio apartment to $3190 for a 5+ bedroom home.
- Moving from Los Angeles to San Jose goes from $780 to $3040.
When operating within the state only the rules of that state need to be followed
Rules and regulations moving companies need to follow:
1. Every company that does interstate moves has a USDOT number. No matter how difficult moving from state to state seems we can help you find the best team of long distance movers in California that will move your items with ease.
2. In the state of California, moving companies are not allowed to set their own prices for intrastate and local moves, because prices are regulated by the state. This means that everyone will pay the same amount for these kinds of moves.
3. When it comes to insurance both interstate and intrastate movers need to provide two options:
- Released-value protection –is free and the fee is 0.60 cents per item
- Full-value protection- your items get fully replaced, however, there are different deductible options. This option is a plus, therefore you will need to pay more if you want this type of insurance.
California Moving Regulations
As we previously mentioned long distance moving companies in California are regulated at the federal level, just like every other company that is completing the move in this state. Therefore, here are what rules and regulations a moving company needs to respect in order to operate legally:
License and insurance are a must. Every company needs to obtain its license through the Bureau of Household Goods & Services.
Virtual or in-person moving estimates are required in the state of California. Furthermore, a reliable moving company is required to provide you with a written estimate that will have a detailed price breakdown.
When it comes to pricing, a company is required to tell you the moving rate for the services that you asked for. You cannot be charged above a certain maximum price. However, sometimes there are exceptions when you will need to pay more than the maximum price. In that case, the company needs to provide you with a written statement that you need to sign in order for it to be approved.
In California, every reliable moving company needs to have a CMSA. This is proof that a company follows the code of ethics, cleanliness, and safety measures.
Verified Movers share your goal towards finding reliable long distance movers in California
In order to find those quality long distance moving companies California the quickest, it would be best to turn to us. You will find all that you need on one platform, from contact and other information, to long distance moving companies reviews California, all at any time that suits you. In addition, should you have any questions or concerns, you can always give us a call, and we would be happy to help. Verified Movers is here for your convenience, and we share your goal towards finding the movers you can put your trust in and have that peace of mind during the important process that is your relocation.
Facts About California
01. Main Information
Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento
Dianne Feinstein, Alex Padilla
The Golden State
02. Geo Population
Area (sq mi)
163,696 sq mi