Georgia has a lot of natural beauty, thriving cities, and the all-attractive Southern charm. Many people agree it is one of the best states to live in the South. If you are moving from the lowland plains and low hills of Mississipi, now you will be able to enjoy majestic mountains and white sand beaches! And let Verified Movers help you with your relocation to this booming economy. You’ll be able to enjoy a fun sports culture, great food, and much more…The Peach State offers just the right blend of rich culture and top-notch amenities with affordable, leisurely lifestyle. Like the tea, life is certainly sweeter in Georgia, so keep on reading for our guide to moving from Mississippi to Georgia.
Here are some pros and cons of life in Georgia:
- Cost of living: You don’t have to worry about anything because Georgia is the 11th most affordable state in America. Furthermore, it offers very attractive savings on housing, utilities, and many other living expenses.
- Job market: Did you know that Georgia is also famous as the Empire State of the South (particularly in Atlanta)? It got its name because it is home to over a dozen Fortune 500 companies. Let some of the best cross country movers Mississippi can offer move you to this hub for career opportunities.
- Economy: Georgia’s economic system currently ranks at #11. GDP is almost $564 billion, and the average income is just below $30K.
- Sports: If you’re an avid sports fan, you’ll love it in the Peach State! Georgia is home to the Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Bulldogs, and Yellow Jackets. So you can find a home team to root for year-round if you are serious about your sports.
- Festivals: First of all, there is the all-famous Summerfest and Imagine Music Festival. Then there is the fun Dogwood Festival. Next, you have the option of visiting the Atlanta Film Festival. Basically, after moving from Mississippi to Georgia with the help of one of the top interstate moving companies Georgia has to offer, you can enjoy an interesting festival during every season.
- Southern charm: It’s hard to beat Southern hospitality, and that’s no different here in the Peach State. Georgians are so polite and they will welcome you with some amazing home-cooked meals. That cozy lifestyle is truly what defines the state’s charm.
However, you’ll also see some downsides to moving from Mississippi to Georgia:
- Traffic: Since cities like Atlanta have a big draw for tourism and business, traffic congestion can be pretty dreadful. Moreover, ATL ranks among the most congested cities in the US.
- Humidity: First of all, Georgians enjoy their mild winters. The compromise, however, is the intense heat that doesn’t come without humidity. Be warned that your shirt will get soaked with sweat so fast after you move from Mississippi to Georgia.
- Pollen: After relocating from Mississippi to Georgia you will encounter a whole new flora. You will see so many new trees and plants here. But although this sounds like an advantage, note that it also means that the entire state gets covered in pollen. Therefore, If you’re an allergy sufferer, you’ll need windshield scrapers to remove thick pollen. That’s one of the things you’ll have to buy after moving.
- Bugs: From ants and gnats to mosquitoes and palmetto bugs, you’ll feel like running away! Georgia will hit you with millions of hordes of pesky and nipping bugs. Unfortunately, they are active throughout most of the year.
- Well-being score: According to some major factors such as goals, social, financial, community, and physical aspects of life, Georgians score their state lower than a majority of other states.
Tax rates after moving from Mississippi to Georgia
Firstly let’s look at the Mississippi State sales tax rate, which is currently at 7%. Additionally, depending on local municipalities and their unique laws, the total tax rate can go as high as 8%. However, you will see that it is a completely different story in Georgia:
- Property Tax: 0.91%. Georgia’s hard-hitting real-estate tax rate is 25th in the US.
- Sales Tax: 4%. When you add that to local taxes, your total rate could be ranging from 4% to 9%.
- Income Tax: The rate is currently at 5.75% for income over $15,000, yet lawmakers are planning to reduce this rate to 5.5% in 2020.
The housing market in Georgia vs. Mississipi
Firstly let’s look at the housing market in Mississippi:
- The average home price in Mississippi is around $130,000.
- Home appreciation in the past decade has been 11.1%.
- Houses in Mississippi are on average around 31 years old
- Renters make up 26.4% of the real estate market
- 2.8% of houses and apartments in the Mississippi housing market are available to rent
Now we can look at the state of the real estate market in Georgia:
- First of all the median home value here is higher than in MS: $189,500
- Secondly, the average rent is around $880 (1BR), $1,038 (2BR)
Here is a shortlist of the cheapest places to live after relocating from Mississipi to Georgia:
- Warner Robins
Cost of living
According to the Cost of Living Index by State 2019 Report by World Population Review, Georgia is the 11th best state in the nation to live in due to its low cost of living. Its present-day cost of living index is 91.2. This number is lower than the national index which is currently rated 100.
Economy & job market you can expect after moving from Mississippi to Georgia
- If you are leaving the job heath care job opportunities of Mississipi, you will be happy to hear about the employment market in Georgia. You are entering a corporate realm full of options in manufacturing and retail. Maybe you will be looking for employment at companies like Nissan and Walmart. Also, Continental Tire recently set up a manufacturing plant in the Peach State.
- Although the unemployment rate in MS has been steadily declining, on the other hand, the average annual salary is lower than what the average American earns.
- As opposed to that, the state of Georgia State ranks as the eleventh best economy in America. So if you have decided on making your move, you should contact us because we can organize a smooth relocation for you. We can connect you with reliable and efficient movers in your area. Our network is full of reputable moving companies that can make your upcoming move a breeze!