Moving is never easy and can be quite expensive. Knowing how to save money on a long-distance move can make all the difference between having a good move and a bad one. Long distance moves can usually be very expensive. The price depends on many things. However, there are some things you can do to make it cheaper. The most important thing is to choose a company that is trustworthy and reliable, and you can do that with the help of Verified Movers. Having the right moving company to assist you with your long distance move can make all the difference!
How to save money on a long-distance move – essentials
There are some essential things you can do to save money. The first thing you should do is to check with some long-distance moving companies and ask them about the estimate. Once you have the estimate, you can make a plan on how to save money on a long distance move. So, you can do the following:
- Try to work around the estimate. Once you get a moving estimate, you should try to work around it. Once you have the price and you know what will be the approximate cost, you can try different ways to decrease the total cost. There are a lot of things that you can do on your own that will save you money on a long distance relocation. For example, you can do preparation and packing alone and thus save up money for the entire move in general. Or you can even load your entire inventory and only pay for transport. You can also transport your items on your own, and pay for packing and so on and so forth. You can find different ways to decrease the price – the more you do, the better!
- Contact your friends and see what they think about it. No move is like any other, but your friends and family might help you out with this one! For example, do you realize that moving during the holidays is not the same when moving outside of the season? So, they can advise you at what time to move, perhaps, or how to proceed with your move. Trust people around you – they wish you all the best!
There are also other things you can do to decrease the moving cost. You can create a moving checklist and see from there where it leads you. It can be a really useful tool, especially if you are doing a long-distance move across the country. However, you can also:
- Try to do most parts alone. This might be the best option. You won’t have to worry about when is the peak moving season if you do it entirely on your own! So, the prices will remain the same throughout your move. However, there is a catch – it will take a long time and you will be tired a lot. Moving is never easy, but you can make it both easy and affordable. For starters, you can try to move on your own, but you will lose a lot of time. However, time is money! So even if your move is much cheaper that way, would it really be worth it? Only you can answer this question.
- Hire movers only when it is necessary. This might be a really good idea, especially for parts which would take you a lot of time. The trick about how to save money on a long-distance move is to work smart, not strong. Thus, you can realize that packing would take you twenty or more hours, while it would take three hours for a professional moving team. This makes it worth it to hire their services when packing is concerned. This method works for other parts of the move as well.
The right date for your move can help you save money on the long distance relocation
When it comes to moving, there are times throughout the year when the prices go up, and of course when they go down. If you plan to look for the best interstate moving companies Texas you can expect higher prices during the summer. Summer is easier to relocate due to nice weather and prices go up since movers are usually very busy. Also, their tight schedule gives you fewer options to adjust or change details about your relocation.
On the other hand, moving during winter or fall will give you much more flexibility and lower prices. You will be able to save money on your long distance relocation from the start. Moving companies have less work, and they can adjust to your needs much better. They will have much more time to answer all of your questions or help you decide on some details regarding your long distance move.
Packing supplies are a great way to save money
One of the best ways to save money when it comes to long distance relocation is by being creative with your packing supplies. Of course, if you have a lot of fragile items, you should buy new packing supplies that can ensure the safety of your items. But when it comes to your clothes or shoes or books -you can get creative and use different items from your home to pack your belongings. Before you start packing your items check with the best cross country movers California is that doable. They can even give you some great ideas.
For example, you can use sturdy garbage bags to pack your clothes while it’s on hangers. Also, you can use towels and linens to wrap your belongings before you put them into moving boxes.
Get free moving boxes
One of the great ways to save money on long distance relocation is to try and find free moving boxes. Start with your friends and family, ask around do they know someone who relocated recently, or did they relocate themselves? You can ask around your neighborhood, a lot of people have some boxes that they do not need. The next stop can be your work and local stores. Don’t be afraid, ask for moving boxes since that can save you a lot of money on your long distance move.
Declutter your home
One of the good ways to lower moving expenses on your long distance relocation is to declutter your home. Before you start packing, you should go around your home, room by room, and declutter. By downsizing your home you are actually saving money on long distance moving. The best way to do so is to create 3 different piles:
- Keep pile – here you can place all the things that you need and that you use on a daily basis. Also, if you have some items that have a deeper meaning – they go here as well.
- Donate – here you can put all the items that are in good condition and they can help other people. There are numerous ways and organizations to whom you may donate your belongings.
- Garage sale – usually the third pile is the one with the items that can go to the trash. But since a garage sale is one of the best ways to add money to your moving budget and save money at the same time – this is the third pile. Here you can place all the items that you do not need or you haven’t used in the last year. And what you do not end up selling – you can donate it or throw it away!
Think about storage
Sometimes the best way to save money on a long distance relocation is to rent a storage unit. Most of the best moving companies Georgia offer storage units as well. And if you have some big items that you do not want to move and you do not want to throw away – storage can be the best solution.
A storage unit can be a great way to save some of your precious items and save money at the same time. Make sure to rent a proper storage unit, and that you organize it so that your belongings are safe.
If you want to save money on a long distance moving – negotiate
One of the best ways to try and lower the cost of your long distance relocation is to try and negotiate with your movers. If your relocation is scheduled for fall or winter, there is a great chance that you will be able to lower the price or at least get some services for free. Also, you can always look for discounts. And if you are moving because of work – ask them about compensation for your moving costs. That can help you save a lot of money on a long distance relocation.
How to save money on a long-distance move – additional ideas
Once you have the moving checklist, and you are slowly ticking items on it – it is time for the next step. Making a post-moving checklist is also recommended because you can check what you did before and after. In other words, you can compare it with your old checklist. If everything fits, then you have done a good job. This is only an idea, but it can help you a lot with your long-distance move.
Also, you need to ask your movers how much and how do they charge. Usually, they charge by distance. And that can make your price really go up. Calculate how much money you will need for relocation with a moving company. But also, calculate how much money would you need to move everything on your own. Would you rent a truck? Would you load everything on your own? Do you need some additional equipment?
Getting additional equipment
You can also get the best moving equipment there is. Visit Amazon or any other website you think is worth checking and buy some professional moving gear. This will save you a fortune in the long run! How is that so? Well, it is simple, actually. You will not get your inventory items damaged or broken during packing/transport. Professional moving gear is very secure and we highly recommend getting it. After all, you can resell it after!
Things to keep in mind
When you are trying to save money on a long-distance move, you need to keep some things in mind. First of all, moving is sometimes really expensive. Depending on the distance and the number of things you plan to move it might be challenging to save money on a long distance relocation. And although you did everything right, and you cut all of your expenses – sometimes the price still will be high. But, don’t worry. You can always try to negotiate your price and you can always look for more moving quotes. Nevertheless, keep in mind that some things are safer and better if they are left in the hands of professionals. Professional movers will always be a safe option, no matter how much they charge for their work.
How to save money on a long-distance move – conclusion
Saving money on a long distance move can be really challenging. But it is not impossible and with a little bit of good planning – you can easily do it! Start planning a lot in advance, do your research and always be on the lookout for discounts. Ask your friends and family for help, and get creative. But keep in mind that sometimes, hiring professionals will actually be the best, safest and cheapest option!