Moving is always a complicated event, particularly if it is your first time. Leaving your home behind and restarting your life in a way is always challenging. This is especially the case if you are moving to a bigger city. New York is one of the greatest cities in the world and as such, it is one of the symbols of the United States. It is huge and full of people and cultures from all over the world. When moving here you should prepare yourself mentally for all the rush of the average NYC day that may often feel overwhelming, particularly in the first couple of days as you finish up with your move. In order to plan it properly, you have to think about several important elements. The cost of hiring NYC movers is a really important one when planning a move here.
We have prepared for you a list of factors that can influence the cost of hiring NYC movers. There are a lot of them, so before you contact one of the long distance moving companies NYC, you should try and check out for yourself so you could know what you can expect. Now let us begin with our list!
Lowering costs before hiring a moving company
When planning a move, one of the main priorities is taking care of your budget. The goal is, of course, to cut your expenses whenever possible. There are a couple of ways to do this. As soon as you start planning the move, you should go around the neighborhood and check all the supermarkets, apothecaries, shops etc and ask them for spare boxes. They are more than likely to provide you with these. Also, you should ask your friends and family for help, which they could provide in several ways. Firstly, they could provide some of the packing supplies. Secondly, they could help you with packing everything up and preparing your soon-to-be-ex apartment for the move.
There is a lot of factors that influence the cost of a move
One of the most important factors when determining the cost of hiring NYC movers is how far are you moving? If it is a local move, depending on the size of your apartment and number of things it can cost you anywhere between a couple of hundreds of dollars to several thousand dollars. If you are moving across the country, even if you hire the best long distance movers New York has to offer, it won’t be less than 3000-3500$.
So, before you start doing the math, it is important to stay aware of the fact that this is (hopefully) a one time deal. Moving is never easy, and it costs a lot of money and is stressful, but it will end. In a matter of days, you will be settling in your new home, and the move will be over. So, when thinking about all the factors, though it sure is not a pleasant financial experience, it won’t be a repeating event.
The number of rooms and the number of things
The number of rooms and the number of things you possess is very important as they directly influence the amount of time that the move is going to last and how many movers you are going to need to hire. Moving companies have their predetermined number of movers that they rent according to the size of your apartment. A studio apartment, for instance, entails two to three movers. If you have a one or two bedroom apartment, then three to four movers will be required. If you have to move a three to four bedroom apartment or house, then you will probably need four or more movers and two moving trucks. When determining the cost of hiring NYC movers you can expect around $100 for three movers and one moving truck per hour.
There are two options regarding the way the prices are determined.
- Non-binding – or the hourly rate contract. There is no predetermined price that you are paying. The final price actually depends on how long the move takes in relation to the hourly rates of movers. Also, extra services like packing and providing moving and packing equipment will be charged.
- Binding – or the flat rate contract. This one is determined by an estimated hourly rate as its base price. To this, all the extra services are of course also added. Also, the moving company in question may prefer to count the rates per cubic foot when calculating the price of the move. On average, moving companies in New York charge $1.60 per cubic foot for a move.
Other important factors that can influence the cost of hiring NYC movers
- The terrain – The terrain plays a major role in determining the final cost. If you are moving from an apartment on the 10th floor and there is no elevator or it is not available for some reason, that will probably be an extra expense on your list.
- The distance – Firstly, the distance between the truck and the main door is greater than a distance specified by the moving company. Usually, this distance is around 70-75 feet. Secondly, the distance of the move is also important. Moving companies in NYC don’t generally require extra money when moving under 20 miles. If you are moving further than 20 miles, expect to be charged extra for that too.
- The time of year – If you are moving during the winter, then you are likely to pay less than in the Summer or Autumn. This is because people generally tend to move in these two seasons. The reasons for this are the weather and the fact that the schools are closed during the Summer. Also, moving during the weekends usually costs more. This is because people mostly tend to move during the weekends because of jobs and school.
- The tip – Tipping the movers is a common practice and should be around 10% of their hourly wage.